- Cooking Spray
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium fresh jalapeno, seeds and ribs discarded, chopped (optional)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped OR 2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 (14.5-oz) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15.5-oz) can no-salt added pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 C salsa (low sodium)
- Lightly spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook the ground turkey breast and onion over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently to turn and break up the ground turkey.
- Stir in the bell pepper, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and coriander. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the remaining chili ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 min.
- Ladle the chili into large mugs or soup bowls. Top with garnishes.
- GARNISH SUGGESTIONS: 1/2 medium avocado, thinly sliced, 1/2 cup chopped green onions, 1/4 cup fat-free or low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup fat-free or low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt, or 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro. These are all optional.
For a complete MyPlate meal, add a serving of fruit.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (Yields 4 Servings): Calories 297; Fat 6g; Saturated Fat 2.5g; Trans Fat 0.5g; Protein 31g; Carbohydrates 29g; Sugars 8g; Fiber 7g; Cholesterol 62mg; Sodium 288mg
SOURCE: American Heart Association https://recipes.heart.org/en/recipes/tailgate-chili