- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 lbs red or yellow potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 12 ounces uncooked chicken sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 small red sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 small green sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 C reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 C shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- Coat a 20×18-inch sheet of heavy foil with cooking spray. Place potatoes, sausage, onion and sweet peppers on foil. Drizzle with broth. Sprinkle with thyme and the black pepper. Bring up long sides of foil and fold to seal. Roll up short sides of foil to enclose. Place packet in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 10 hours.
- To poach eggs, half-fill a 12-inch skillet with water and bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmering (bubbles should begin to break the surface of the water). Break an egg into a cup and slip egg into the simmering water. Simmer eggs, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken, but are not hard. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon.
- Carefully open the foil packet to avoid getting burned by escaping steam. To serve, spoon sausage and vegetables onto serving plates. Serve a poached egg on top of each serving and sprinkle egg with black pepper. Sprinkle cheese on individual servings.
Only 15 minutes prep time! Serves 6 people.
Nutrients Per Serving (1 cup): 281 calories; 12g fat (2 g sat); 3g fiber; 23g carbohydrates; 3g sugars; 21g protein; 262 mg cholesterol; 485mg sodium
Source: EatingWell http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/265028/potato-sausage-and-egg-breakfast/
For a complete MyPlate meal, add a whole grain and a serving of fruit!