- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- OPTION: If you like heat, add hot peppers in place of sweet peppers.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add zucchini and peppers; cook until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender and begin to release their juices, 5-7 minutes. Serve with pasta.
For a complete MyPlate meal, add a serving of fruit.
Ready in 30 minutes. Yields 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/3 cups: 251 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 417mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.