- Cooking Spray
- 1 C onion – finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic – minced or pressed (about 2-3 cloves)
- 4 C broccoli florets – rinsed (about 1 pound)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounce very thinly sliced chicken breast – cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 jar (28 oz) no-salt-added pasta sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz whole wheat angel hair pasta
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- While the water heats, chop onion, mince garlic, and cut broccoli into tiny florets. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat olive oil until very hot. Add the chicken. Cook and stir until lightly browned on both sides, about 5-8 minutes. Place chicken on a clean plate, and cover to keep warm.
- Coat pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, cook and stir the onion for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and broccoli. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Add entire jar of pasta sauce, cayenne pepper, and salt. Gently mix to blend ingredients. Cover. Simmer until chicken and vegetables are warmed through, 4 minutes.
- Drop pasta into boiling water. Cook according to package direction for the shortest recommended time, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Divide pasta among four dinner plates (about 1 cup each). Top each with one-fourth of the chicken and sauce mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Yields 4 Servings): About 2 cup pasta and chicken per serving: Calories 452, Total Tat 10g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 48mg, Sodium 412mg, Fiber 13g, Protein 31g, Carbohydrates 66g, Potassium 569mg
SOURCE: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute—Deliciously Healthy Dinners