Beef Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1/4 C soy sauce
- 1 1/2 C beef broth or water
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, maple syrup or honey
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, minced
Beef Stir Fry:
- 1 1/2 lbs beef sirloin, ribeye, tri-tip, tenderloin or shoulder steak thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, sliced
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped
- 2 Tbsp oil, for frying
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Cut the vegetables & beef. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, cornstarch, garlic & ginger. Set aside.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat & add 1 tbsp of oil. Add half of beef, cook uncovered for 3-4 min per side or until browned, & transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining beef. Set aside.
- Return skillet to high heat, add mushrooms. Cook 3 min or until browned, transfer to plate. Set aside.
- Return skillet to high heat, add remaining 1 tbsp oil, bell pepper & onions. Cook for 2-3 min, stirring once or twice & transfer onto a plate. Set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat, add broccoli, whisk stir fry sauce well (cornstarch settles fast) & add to the skillet. Stir, let sauce come to a boil, then cook for a few min until thickened, stirring often.
- Return cooked beef, mushrooms, onion & bell peppers to the skillet. Stir gently, turn off heat & garnish beef stir fry with sesame seeds.
- Serve hot over quinoa, brown rice, brown rice vermicelli or whole wheat spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts per 1.5 cups serving: Calories 293, Fat 10g, Saturated fat 2g, Trans fat 1g, Cholesterol 67mg, Carbohydrates, 20g, Sugars 8g, Fiber 4g, Protein 31g, Sodium 841mg
Prep time: 15 min; Cook Time 15 min; Total time 30 min
Yields 6 servings