15 minutes prep time; 1.5 hours cook time
- 4 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion, divided
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork, bake at 400º for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes, coarsely mash. Discard skins. Try cooking the potatoes ahead of time to make the prep time go faster.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Place flour in a large Dutch oven, gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Ladle into bowls, and sprinkle with cheese, onions, and bacon.
- YIELD: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups soup, 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons onions and about 1 tablespoon bacon).
For a complete MyPlate meal, add a vegetable and a serving of fruit!
Nutrition Facts: Calories 329; Fat 10.8g (Sat 5.9g); Protein 13.6g; Carbohydrates 44.5g; Fiber 2.8g; Cholesterol 38mg; Iron 1.1mg; Sodium 587mg; Calcium 407 mg
SOURCE: Cooking Light